Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My first 'Culturele Woensdag' - Kinetic Line

15 September
HKU

So looking back to my first 'Culturele Woensdag' experience.  I had just started classes at the HKU after moving to a new city in a new country on the other side of the world.  I'd received an email earlier describing the weeks prescribed activities with a link to this video.

Needless to say, I was impressed and at the same time extremely curious of how on earth I'd be able to create something quite like this.  I came to class with a tiny bag of bits and pieces, not really sure what to expect...well 5 m of my own kinetic line wasn't quite it.  

Easier said than done.  I'd been assigned a corner of the hall, and had to somehow fill in 5m and connect to the people before and after me...and keep it interesting and creative...and make sure it worked!  After staring at the blank wall for about 20 minutes I just decided to start making something before time ran out.  
Ended up being a quite delicate contraption that I became quite proud of - a small weight that once set off, slid down a string ramp, hit and pushed another weight of a ledge onto the ground, which then pulled up a barrier, allowing a marble to roll down a tube onto the next person in the line.  

It had kept me busy up until the moment I heard shouts and screams approaching rapidly from the other side of the school. It had begun!  After all that work it was incredibly satisfying to see all the different creations, especially when they worked.  And mine...ran smoothly! The finale (although long) was an impressive end to a fun, exciting and exhausting day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment